UPSC CSE Syllabus 2018 | UPSC CSE Exam Pattern 2018 | UPSC CSE Syllabus PDF
UPSC CSE Syllabus 2018 :- The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has released the examination notification for the recruitment of qualified and eligible candidates into Indian Administrative Services.Every year huge number of candidates are going to appear for UPSC Civil Service Examination 2018 across from the country and the success rate for the Civil Services Exam (CSE) is 0.1%-0.3%.As expected the commission has released the examination notification for these year also through their official website.The main aim for registered candidates is to crack the examination and obtain a job.To perform better in the examination,candidates must have knowledge on UPSC CSE Syllabus 2018 and UPSC CSE Exam Pattern 2018 which is given below in detail.
The Civil Services Examination (CSE) is a nationwide competitive examination in India conducted by the Union Public Service Commission for recruitment to various Civil Services of the Government of India, including the Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS), Indian Police Service (IPS) among others.It is considered as one of the toughest examination in the country.
- Name of the organization : Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)
- Name of the examination : UPSC Civil Services Examination (CSE) 2018
- Application mode : Online
- Job category : Government
- Job location : Across India
- Application mode : Online
- Official website : www.upsc.gov.in
UPSC CSE 2018 Exam Pattern – UPSC Civil Service Exam Pattern 2018 :-
The UPSC Civil Services Exam 2018 will be conducted in Two Phases and the exam pattern are given below.
UPSC CSE Preliminary Exam Pattern :-
|Sections||Number of Questions.||Duration per section||Total Marks.|
|Paper I: General knowledge||100.||2 Hours.||200.|
|Paper II: Aptitude test||80||2 Hours||.200|
Total Marks= 400
UPSC CSE Mains Exam Pattern 2018 :-
|Paper-A.||Modern Indian Language skills||300|
|Paper-B.||English language skills||300|
|Paper-6.||Optional Subject Paper-1||250|
|Paper-7||Optional Subject Paper-2||250|
UPSC CSE Syllabus 2018 – Download UPSC CSE Exam Syllabus 2018 :-
The written examination will be conducted in two phases such as preliminary examination and mains examination and here we are providing each phase syllabus in detail.The candidates can also download UPSC CSE Syllabus 2018 in PDF through given below official link.
UPSC CSE Syllabus 2018 – UPSC CSE Preliminary Exam Syllabus Paper I :
- Current events of national and international importance
- History of India and Indian National Movement
- Indian and World Geography – Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc
- Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization General Science
UPSC CSE Syllabus 2018 – UPSC CSE Preliminary Exam Syllabus Paper II :
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem solving
- General mental ability Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level)
UPSC CSE Syllabus 2018 – UPSC CSE Main Exam Syllabus Paper I :
- Comprehension of given passages
- Precis Writing
- Usage and Vocabulary
- Short Essay Translation from English to the Indian language and vice-versa
Note 1 :- The Papers on Indian Languages and English will be of Matriculation or equivalent standard and will be of qualifying nature only. The marks obtained in these papers will not be counted for ranking.
Note 2:- The candidates will have to answer the English and Indian Languages papers in English and the respective Indian language (except where translation is involved).
UPSC CSE Syllabus 2018 – UPSC CSE Main Exam Syllabus Paper II (English) :
The pattern of questions would be broadly as follows:-
- Comprehension of given passages
- Precis Writing Usage and
- Vocabulary Short Essay
UPSC CSE Syllabus 2018 – UPSC CSE Main Exam Syllabus Paper III (Essay) :
- To be written in the medium or language of the candidate’s choice
- Candidates will be required to write an essay on a specific topic
- The choice of subjects will be given
- They will be expected to keep closely to the subject of the essay to arrange their ideas in orderly fashion, and to write concisely
- Credit will be given for effective and exact expression.
UPSC CSE Syllabus 2018 – UPSC CSE Main Exam Syllabus Paper IV (General Studies) :
- Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
- Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues.
- The Freedom Struggle – its various stages and important contributors /contributions from different parts of the country .
- Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the countryHistory of the world will include events from 18th century such as industrial revolution, world wars, redrawal of national boundaries, colonization, decolonization, political philosophies like communism, capitalism, socialism etc.- their forms and effect on the society.
- Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India
- Role of women and women’s organization, population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies
- Effects of globalization on Indian society
- Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism
- Salient features of world’s physical geography
- Distribution of key natural resources across the world (including South Asia and the Indian sub-continent); factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India)
UPSC CSE Syllabus 2018 – UPSC CSE Main Exam Syllabus Paper V (General Studies) :
- Indian Constitution- historical underpinnings, evolution, features, amendments, significant provisions and basic structure.
- Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States, issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein.
- Separation of powers between various organs dispute redressal mechanisms and institutions.
- Comparison of the Indian constitutional scheme with that of other countries
- Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these.
- Structure, organization and functioning of the Executive and the Judiciary Ministries and Departments of the Government; pressure groups and formal/informal associations and their role in the Polity
- Salient features of the Representation of People’s Act
- Appointment to various Constitutional posts, powers, functions and responsibilities of various Constitutional Bodies
- Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies
- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation
- Development processes and the development industry the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders
- Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and
- Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources
- Issues relating to poverty and hunger Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability, e-governance- applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential; citizens charters, transparency & accountability and institutional and other measures
- Role of civil services in a democracy India and its neighborhood- relations Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora.
- Important International institutions, agencies and fora, their structure, mandate
UPSC CSE Syllabus 2018 – UPSC CSE Main Exam Syllabus Paper VI :
- Economic Development
- Bio-diversity, Environment
- Security and
- Disaster Management
UPSC CSE Syllabus 2018 – UPSC CSE Main Exam Syllabus Paper VII :
- Integrity and
Interested candidates can download UPSC CSE Syllabus 2018 in PDF through given below official link.
Official Website : www.upsc.gov.in